Building open data and open source technologies that fuel efficient, open governance.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Strong project management capabilities
- Rapid learner of technology and new concepts
18F, General Services Administration September 2014 to the Present
- Applying start-up and agile development principles to government projects.
- Contributing to the USCIS overhaul using Ruby and Rails.
ECA Professional Fellow, International Center for Journalists July 2014-Feb 2015
- One of the first American fellows to travel to the Middle East/North Africa and back under ICFJ's exchange program. The first ICFJ program to integrate business planning and revenue strategy with training in digital media.
- Fellow, "Unlocking the Economic Potential of Digital Media," a professional fellowship program managed by the International Center for Journalists and funded by the U.S. State Department's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA).
Sunlight Foundation Nov 2010 - Sept 2014
title: Software Developer
- Lead software developer on vital projects, including large scale data projects and user facing properties.
- Coordinated across Design, Communications and Policy departments to strategize, develop and launch web products that use government data to connect journalists and citizens to their government.
- Foreign Influence Explorer
(Python, Django) A project that turns DOJ records into a database and website about foreign influence in the US.
- Congress API
(Ruby, Sinatra) An API about the work and structure of Congress.
(Ruby, Sinatra) An alert service that delivers emails about Congress, regulations, state governments and court documents.
- Capitol Words
(Python Django) A website and API that ingests and parses the Congressional Record.
- Women make up more than half the U.S. population, less than one fourth of U.S. House witnesses Used Congress API expansion to do a study on gender imbalance of House witnesses.
- What countries spent the most to influence the USA in 2013? Used Foreign Influence Explorer Data to calculate the top lobbying countries, according to DOJ records.
- Outside Spenders Return on investment Created a new political metric by calculating the percent of money spent on winning candidates.
- Maxine Waters exploits FEC rules to raise big bucks from California politicians Used FEC and California Campaign Finance records to uncover Rep. Maxine Waters financed her campaign through state and local politicians buying spots on her political campaign flier.
- see all posts
- Co-Organized TransparencyCamp 2013-2014, The Sunlight Foundation's annual conference. Worked across departments managing personnel and logistics for the event.
- Helped craft policy agenda on foreign lobbying and contributed to getting FARA reform into the DOJ's Open Government Plan.
- My work has been cited by: The New York Times, Washington Post, TIME Swampland, Washington Times, National Journal, Politico, Huffington Post, CNN Money, Reuters, Atlantic Wire, USA Today and other media outlets.
Morgan Training Company Oct 2007 – May 2009
Title: Marketing Analyst (P/T)
- Morgan Training Company provides sales training to engineering professionals. I analyzed customer satisfaction surveys using quantitative and qualitative methods. I compiled the results into a report and chose testimonials for marketing materials.
The Senatorial Office of Byron Dorgan Aug 2006 – Dec 2006
- I conducted research, wrote memos and constiuent letters. I also produced graphics, wrote a brochure, and composed an office tour guide manual using verified information including maps, a glossary, and talking points.
The Congressional Office of Anna Eshoo Sept 2005 – Dec 2005
- I wrote a constituent letter and performed receptionist duties. I obtained Congressional Research Service Certification and used CRS services provided by the Library of Congress.
- Master in Public Policy 2010
- 3.96 GPA, Rank 2 of 50
- Concentration in International Relations
University California, Riverside
- B.A. in History 2007
- 3.91 GPA, Summa cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Web frameworks: Django, Sinatra, Rails
- Databases and search: MySQL, MongoDB, ElasticSearch
- HTML5 and CSS3
- Use Amazon EC2 and S3 services
- Creation, use and maintenance of APIs